With the annual National Ice Cream Day approaching in mid-summer, it is the perfect time to consider that wonderful dessert, ice cream. While there is no shortage of ice cream flavors to choose from these days, some have proven over time to be among the greatest flavors.
National Ice Cream Day occurs on the third Sunday in July each year. The day was designated in 1984 by President Ronald Reagan. The entire month of July was also designated as National Ice Cream Month for those who cannot live with only a one-day celebration of this frozen goodness.
In honor of National Ice Cream Day, there are a few unique ice cream flavors that you should definitely taste this summer in addition to the traditional flavors like vanilla, chocolate, coffee and strawberry.
- Brambleberry Crisp from Jeni’s blends oat streusel and a “brambleberry” jam of blackcurrants and blackberries into a vanilla ice cream base.
- Ooey Gooey Butter Cake from Ample Hills Creamery blends pieces of St. Louis Ooey Gooey Butter Cake into a vanilla ice cream base.
- Elena’a Blueberry Pie from Graeter’s includes blueberries and pieces of pie for a taste sensation. Proceeds from the sale of this ice cream benefit The Cure Starts Now Foundation.
- Eureka Lemon and Marionberries from McConnell’s Fine Ice Creams mixes Oregon marionberries into a Eureka lemon-infused ice cream base.
- Ginger flavor from Snoqualmie Ice Cream is made using whole ginger and its essential oils. This treat is blended to be equally spicy and sweet.
- Hazed & Confused from Ben & Jerry’s combines chocolate and hazelnut ice creams with hazelnut fudge and fudge chips for a decadent treat.
- Mountain Blackberry from Snoqualmie Ice Cream blends blackberries and marionberries into this fruity delicious dessert.
So, on this special day be sure to take a moment to raise your spoon filled with your favorite flavor and honor those who spend their days creating the delicacy you now enjoy! Okay…that’s over kill, but enjoy a cone at least…it is a holiday ya know.
What are some of your all-time favorite ice cream flavors? Are you planning to celebrate National Ice Cream Day or National Ice Cream Month by splurging on your favorite ice cream this year?